We are back with part 2 of our ‘dressing for your body type’ blog. If you missed our first post, check it out here. Our next reader who approached us, was Alison. She sees her hips & thighs as a hurdle to feeling comfortable, when getting dressed. She feels that finding a way to slim them would help her feel more comfortable in her skin.
We were really excited to dress Alison. She has a great body shape, but is concerned about her hips and thighs. We knew right away that with the right outfits, she could rock her problem areas. Alison is a size 10 in bottoms and a small/medium in tops. After talking with her about her body type, we assessed that she was a pear shape. Now, we get that the body shapes (wedge, apple, pear, etc.) don’t have exactly the most flattering title. However, everyone has a body type, and figuring out which one you are is the first step to figuring out what looks best on you.
- Pear Shape // Your hips are wider than your shoulders.
- Problem areas — Hips & thighs.
- Best assets — Shoulders & torso.
- Goals — Emphasize your waist and arms, add volume to your upper body to minimize your hips.
- Tips //
- Try wearing shoulder pads, this will even out bigger hips and create an illusion.
- Boatneck, square and cowl necklines will all even out your body type.
- Wear strapless tops and dresses to show off your arms and even out proportions.
- Wear jackets that hit right above the waist.
- Pointy toed shoes will elongate your legs.
Here’s what we dressed Alison in!
No. 1 // Aztec pencil skirt and boatneck top. We pulled the skirt up higher to show off her small waist. The boatneck top evens out the proportion from her hips to her shoulders, by creating the illusion that her shoulders are broader. The whole look elongates her.
“I learned I should not be ashamed of my flaws because now I know how to make various outfits compliment me.”
These women (in this series) are very brave and opening up about their self image and how they feel about their body type. Admit it, we all feel like this! Leave some kind words in the comments for Alison and tell her just how amazing she looks <3
Stay tuned for PART 3 next week!
Love, Us.Tags: dressing for your body type, fashion, style everyday